In grade 12 my physics teacher, Mr.K., told me something that I would never forget. We were talking about my university plans and he told me that so many people picked their careers based on what they loved to do. These people are normally happy, but he thought they were a little selfish. He told me to pick what I thought was the greatest injustice and to work hard the rest of my life to end it.
Over the years I have encountered many things that I hate, many things that I would gladly work the rest of my life trying to eradicate. But I have narrowed my scope to the fact that our students are entering into an educational system which is perfectly willing to settle for educating only those who want to learn; too many of our children slip through the cracks.
I have been researching First Nations graduation rates and I am furious; only 40% of First Nations students living on reserve will graduate from high school. My class has 12 students in it, which means that only 4.8 of them will graduate (to encourage myself I will round that up to 5 students). That also means that when I look at my class 7 of my students will not be able to find success in the classroom. I’m sitting here running through my list of students’ names and seeing their faces; deciding that this class will be different, that this group will be the exception. That I will find a way to teach, engage and mentor each of these beautiful children in a way which enables them to be successful.
And I wonder how many other teachers have thought these very same thoughts, and failed.
I can’t decide whether I want to break something or cry
No comments:
Post a Comment